Entrepreneurship Program for Teens
The Young Entrepreneurs Academy (YEA!) (Pronounced “YAY”) is a ground-breaking program that transforms middle and high school students into real, confident entrepreneurs. It is a Think Shark Tank for teens! YEA! Lynchburg is the only program in the state of Virginia administered by the Leadership Lynchburg program of the Lynchburg Regional Chamber in partnership with the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Lynchburg.
The Young Entrepreneurs Academy, or YEA!, is an educational program that takes students in grades six through twelve through the process of starting and running real businesses over the course of a full academic year. Students work in close cooperation with local leaders of industry, community members, and educators to develop ideas and objectives, write business plans, pitch potential investors,obtain funding, register with governmental agencies, develop their brand identity and much more! By the end of the class, students own and operate fully functioning businesses that can be carried on after graduation.
Also, students get a chance to win an all-expense paid trip to Rochester, New York to compete against other entrepreneurs for a chance to win up to a $30,000 scholarship to a variety of colleges and universities. View more information.
YEA!Fast Fact Snapshot:
- 100% of Academy Graduates Graduate High School on Time
- 99% of Academy Graduates Enroll in College
- 19% of YEA! Students Start Second Businesses
- 50% of YEA! Students Continue Business for More Than 1 Year
- 49% of YEA! Students are Female
- 56% of YEA! Students are Underrepresented Minorities
- 42% of YEA! Students matriculate to host institution when hosted on a college campus YEA! Students have been awarded over a half million dollars in scholarships as a result of their involvement in YEA!
- YEA! Students have been awarded over a half million dollars in scholarships as a result of their involvement in YEA!
- 1,384 students have graduated from YEA! and have launched 1,093 enterprises.
- 7,300 business and community leaders have supported the students’ experiences as YEA! volunteers.
YEA! strengthens the community and the community strengthens YEA!. Students are able to network with and develop relationships with local business leaders, create jobs, and launch businesses in their own backyard. Students see that they can make a difference within the communities in which they live. The enthusiasm and success of the students are empowering for the entire community!
YEA! Lynchburg's First Class:
- 13 students ages 13-18 graduated inaugural Lynchburg class on May 28, 2013
- 10 NEW businesses have been birthed!
- $5,400 was invested in these 10 enterprises by local investors
Get Involved in YEA! Lynchburg